If the will of God in Christ Jesus is to give thanks to God in everything, every believer should know why we should give thanks and be grateful all the time. Gratitude is a feeling of thankfulness and appreciation of everything the Almighty God is doing in our daily life. It is an act that allows what we desire to flow into our experience. Let us now search the scriptures and learn the will of God concerning all of us. The Old Testament and the New Testament provide many Scriptures to justify why should we give thanks to God.
- One primary reason for why we should give thanks to God is God’s character: We should give God thanks just because of who He is, not just for what He does. His many attributes describe God’s character. He is the Creator of the Universe; He is God of gods; the Lord of lords; His goodness, faithfulness and His unconditional Love endure forever. Psalm 136:2-3: “Give thanks to the God of gods. His faithful love endures forever. Give thanks to the Lord of lords. His faithful love endures forever”. We give thanks to God for His greatness and His miracles: 1 Chronicles 16:8-9 : “Give thanks to the LORD and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done. Sing to him; yes, sing his praises. Tell everyone about his miracles”. Psalm 138:2: “I bow before your holy Temple as I worship. I will give thanks to your name for your unfailing love and faithfulness, because your promises are backed by all the honor of your name”.
- The Secondary reason for why we should give thanks to God is for what He has done: Psalm 136:4-9: “Give thanks to him who alone does mighty miracles. His faithful love endures forever. Give thanks to him who made the heavens so skillfully. His faithful love endures forever. Give thanks to him who placed the earth on the water. His faithful love endures forever. Give thanks to him who made the heavenly lights. His faithful love endures forever. Give thanks to him who made the sun to rule the day and the moon and stars to rule the night. His faithful love endures forever.
- The Third reason we should give thanks to God is because He is our daily Provider and He answers our prayer. Romans 14:6 : “Those who have a special day for worshiping the Lord are trying to honor him. Those who eat all kinds of food do so to honor the Lord, since they give thanks to God before eating. And those who won’t eat everything also want to please the Lord and give thanks to God”. 2 Corinthians 1:11: “He will rescue us because you are helping by praying for us. As a result, many will give thanks to God because so many people’s prayers for our safety have been answered”. Colossians 1:3: “We always pray for you, and we give thanks to God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ”. Ps 75:1: “…We thank you, O God! We give thanks because you are near. People everywhere tell of your mighty miracles”.
- We give thanks to God because “Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life”, wrote Melody Beattie. “It turns what we have into enough, and more. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.”
- We give thanks to God for many blessings: God Increases His Blessings on those who are grateful, those who recognize His Power. People who know that God is the Owner and Possessor of everything express their inner gratefulness for good health, knowledge, wisdom, love and for God’s Guidance. Knowing their weaknesses and being humble before God, they give thanks to Him for every blessing granted. The more we give thanks to God, the more we experience his kindness and His Goodness, His mercy and compassion. God grants even more health and power to those who give thanks to Him for the good health and strength they have. God bestows even more knowledge and property to those who are grateful for their knowledge or wealth. True believers remain grateful to God even under harshest conditions.
Prayer: O Lord, with humble heart, I give thanks for the many blessings you granted me. Thank you, Lord, for good health, your wisdom and Guidance. You are the Owner and Possessor of everything. Thank you for all you’ve done for me! Thank you for your kindness and for your Goodness. I promise you to remain Grateful every day in my Life. I give you thanks in Jesus Name. AMEN.